Monday, November 7, 2011

Tuscany Potato Soup (or, Potato Sausage Kale Soup)

What to do with all that kale?  Chip it, saute it, freeze it...or make soup.  Potato sausage kale soup.  I got this recipe from Cindy Revilla, a fellow CPA at H&S Companies, whose husband made it.  At the time, I didn't have an abundant kale supply.  I actually had to buy it at Meijer.  But since then it's become a definite "old standby" recipe, especially in the fall.  I make a triple batch and freeze a bunch of it in lunch-size containers to grab on my way out the door to work.  What we don't eat for dinner gets stored in the fridge so the kids can warm it up and take it to school in a stainless steel Thermos for lunch.  They'd much rather eat corndog nuggets, don't get me wrong, but sometimes potato sausage kale soup is good for the soul.

Tuscany Potato Soup - Cindy (Robert) Revilla
1 lb Bob Evans Italian sausage (I use my local pig from the freezer, of course)
2 Tbsp olive oil (I sometimes skip this...who needs to add grease to fry pork?)
up to 6 cloves garlic
5 shakes Italian seasoning
1 onion, diced
1 chicken breast, diced
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
48 oz chicken broth (often add 30 oz more)
6-7 medium potatoes, sliced
1 bunch fresh kale, torn
1 can of fat free evaporated milk (this wasn't in the recipe - I sometimes add it to make a creamier broth similar to Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana)

In soup pot heat oil and cook sausage with garlic, Italian seasoning, and onions.  When almost cooked, add chicken and black & red pepper and cook until done.
Add broth and potatoes and cook until potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.  Add kale near the end.  Serves 6-8.  Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment