Technically, I've never even made these, so this recipe should not be on the "old standby" blog. However, it's most definitely a Sytsema family tradition, and the Breukers (Holly & my mom) have called me questioning the ingredients enough times that I'm going to post it anyway.
Sour Cream & Chive Potatoes - Mary Sytsema
6 cups water
2 cups milk
1 1/2 sticks margarine
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 cups potato buds
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
chives
Combine water, milk, margarine, & salt. Just before this boils, remove from heat and add potato buds. Mix together. Add cream cheese & mix together. Add sour cream & mix together. Add chives to taste.
This can be made ahead of time and warmed up in 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. From my personal observations: Marty's mom makes this and we heat it in the microwave in big bowls. My mom makes it and it comes out of the oven in a 9x13 pan, and somehow it doesn't taste anywhere near that good. I should also note that Marty's mom shared this recipe in a family cookbook a few years ago, and it was discovered that - oops - somehow some of the measures weren't quite right. Since I've never made this, I can't vouch for the instructions above. Proceed with caution and if you get it right the rewards will be worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment